Monday, February 15, 2010

Dumb Things I've Done: Vol. 18

When we first got married Luke accidently turned on the wrong burner about three times. Once exploding a pan of brownies (it exploded when he brought it outside and set it in the snow), once lighting a box of tea on fire, and once melting a bottle of Alpine Touch. I have always made fun of him for this. Well, this morning the tables have turned. I had baked an apple bread/tart thing last night and it was on a cookie sheet on top of the stove. Then this morning I went to turn on the kettle for some oatmeal and heard a sizzle but didn't think anything of it. A few minutes later the kitchen is filling with smoke and I realized the pan and the apple concoction is burning. We live in an apartment building and I really didn't want to set off the smoke alarm. My first thought is to get the burning pan outside. Once again, we live on the top floor of an apartment building. So I stuck it in the oven, hoping it would dissipate. Um, the smoke kept coming up through the vent of the stove. The kitchen is FILLED with smoke now and we've opened both the sliding glass door and the window in the kitchen. So now the 30 degree air is streaming in and smoke is sort of streaming out. And the stove fan is on. Then we sprayed febreeze in the kitchen everywhere. And I am waving an oven mitt in the air trying to get the smoke out. After a few minutes of cold air it seemed to do okay, but we had to leave for work so now I smell like smoke. yuck.

No comments: