Saturday, October 15, 2011

Adventures in Apple Cider

A few weeks ago Luke made the mistake of saying we should make some apple cider. In his mind he meant "let's go get some apple cider and put some of the cider spice in it to enjoy on this lovely fall day" (paraphrase). In my mind I heard "Lets go get some apples and make apple cider from scratch!" Guess whose idea won out. We bought a bunch of local apples from the store and proceeded to core them, cut them, and process them in the food processor until they were like liquid applesauce. Then came the fun part. The recipe said to use cheesecloth to strain the apple cider from the apple mush. Cheese cloth didn't work. So what did I come up with?
Thats right, Pantyhose. I found an old kneehigh nylon, washed it for peace of mind, and then Luke scooped the sauce into it and I squeezed the juice out. We ended up getting almost a gallon of cider plus a bunch of apple mush without the juice. So I made apple cake with the mush. The cider was delicious! It was a tad bit tart but with a little bit of cider spice it was perfect.
So would we do it again? Maybe. If we got the apples for free. And I figured out an easier way to drain the juice. But it was fun, and even though it was probably the most expensive apple cider we'll ever drink, it was even better based on the work we put in.

No comments: