Monday, March 16, 2009

Blogs are Sew Fun!!

I've been on a total sewing kick lately. I think because a) we ditched the cable to save money, and b) I keep finding sewing blogs. I love it! Its so inspiring to see what other people are doing, whether its quilts or bags or whatever. I keep downloading free bag & purse patterns. I have a binder that I put all my downloaded patterns into. I downloaded one last week and two this week already. Maybe one of these days I'll actually sew some and maybe I'll open an etsy account and sell my stuff. Etsy is a website where people can post their handmade objects for sale - i.e. purses, hats, jewelry, etc etc. I want to post some of my earrings. Maybe I can make some money off my hobbies.

This weekend for "quilting for orphans" we went on a field trip instead of quilting. We went downtown to the fabric store and picked out 26 different fabrics for quilts. There was some super cute stuff! I love fabric. Its really a disease.

I also made a skirt this weekend. Sewing clothes for myself is not always a success. I bought the pattern a few weeks ago and was using fabric that I've had for eons. I measured myself and chose the size based on the back of the pattern...After I finished the skirt I tried it on and it was horrible!! It was too big and hung down too long which made me look awkward since I'm so short. So now I am going to basically take it apart and start over. We decided the pockets weren't cute so I'll axe those and just take in the seams on the skirt panels. I'll have to fix the waistband too, and redo the zipper. yuck. I despise sewing zippers. I'd much rather do snaps. You get to hammer! Anyways, I'll post a picture of the skirt now and then after I finish it. Sigh.

4 comments:

Kelly Kuntz said...

dude why didn't you try it on before the zipper? all that work...

I remember as a kid we always had to stand on the coffee table and get fitted getting poked with pins, good times.

Jen said...

Hey Kels...I love sewing blogs too. I'm getting a sewing machine this weekend (hopefully) and want to start. I really want to start on a quilt. Any suggestions for a easy first pattern? How fun that you are moving I bet you are excited!

Angela said...

Speaking of sewing blogs . . . I'm searching for the hooter hider tutorial that used to be on the "I must not think bad thoughts" blog and saw you commented you found it. I made several last year, and loved them. Now my sis is begging me to make her one, but I can't remember how! Can you email it to me?
angela_bedell@att.net

Luke & Kelsie Frazier said...

I dont know why the thought of trying on my skirt didn't come through my head before I finished it. I think I just really wanted this cute skirt and thought it would go together well. Im used to quilting - you dont try stuff on with that!